OBJECTIVE: If there’s one thing that girls like, it’s boys. In August 2014, Claire’s launched their “The Boys of Summer” campaign, rewarding the Claire’s fanbase with all things boy bands—from signed guitars to amps and CD giveaways. As Claire’s social media agency in the US, Fame House was brought in to round out the campaign and promote fan engagement on socials.
APPROACH: We created two Twitter takeovers with featured artists The Vamps and Austin Mahone. The Vamps participated in an hour-long takeover, while Austin Mahone participated in a half hour takeover. Fame House managed and monitored both campaigns.
To promote each takeover, we published a series of posts across all social platforms and re-skinned Claire’s social accounts. During each, we created promoted tweets in Twitter ads to drive fans to Claire’s Twitter profile page.
Fans were asked to use the hashtags #AskVamps and #ClairesAsksAustin to participate in the takeovers and ask their questions to the artists. The boys responded from the Claire’s Twitter account with fun answers and photos. Both hashtags trended nationally on Twitter, while #ClairesAsksAustin trended worldwide.
To capitalize on the momentum and success of the initial Vamps takeover, a same-day contest for fans to win VIP tickets to meet the Vamps in Chicago was conducted on Twitter. Users simply had to retweet a Vamps photo, which was provided by Claire’s, with the hashtag, #ClairesXTheVamps.
- #ClairesAsksAustin trended worldwide on Twitter and was used over 29.6K times, driving over 64.4K engagements.
- #AskVamps trended in the US and was used over 24.4K times.
- #ClairesXTheVamps trended in the US.
- Claire’s Twitter account grew by 1.3K followers (2.9% absolute growth) in 1 hour during The Vamps takeover on August 5th:
- Total audience growth for the day reached 4.9%, growing the account to 45.5K followers.
- Claire’s tweets that day earned over 49.4K engagements.